Saturday 11 October 2014

How to give your make up brushes a deep clean?

If you are a gal obsessed with make up then you probably will have a fair amount of make up brushes like myself. They can make applying make up a dream but its important we take good care of them to make sure they last as long as they can. 

I'm pretty sure a lot of you will know exactly how to properly clean your brushes but when I first started getting in to applying make up properly and using brushes I had no idea how to give them a good clean. I didn't know how much make up could build up in those tiny little hairs and didn't want to think about how much bacteria I could have been spreading across my face. With saying all that I know I'm not the only one that doesn't have the time to clean them at least once a week like you should but I try to do this as often as I can!

Tips on getting started:
  • I use a shampoo to clean mine and its best if you use a gentle or baby shampoo to protect the little hairs. There are also brush cleaners you can buy but these can be expensive
  • Make sure you are using warm water; not too cold and not too hot as we don't want to burn them
  • As soon as the brushes touch water its important you keep the brush facing down so that the water doesn't make the glue become loose and so your brush doesn't fall apart
  • Brush guards can be used to help keep bristles in place and so brushes keep their shape over time but this is not necessary
  • Synthetic brushes such as Real Techniques brushes keep their shape really well so brush guards aren't usually needed


Its also important that you don't let the water go above where my finger is - if it does then it might loosen the glue and the brush may brake.

Firstly, rinse the bristles with warm water

Add a small amount of shampoo in your hand...

and swirl the brush around in the shampoo - if you get the bristles in all the bumps in your hand it makes it easier for the dirt to come out

Rinse the bristles again to get all the shampoo out...

Still making sure the brush is facing down, squeeze any excess water out into a towel...

I've decided to use a brush guard on mine to make sure all the bristles stay in the same shape - you can buy them in all shapes and sizes but they are not necessary

I then leave the brush to dry on a window ledge or somewhere airy - the bristles need to be over the edge of the ledge so that air can get all around the bristles to dry quicker

and then clean some more brushes!

No comments:

Post a Comment